Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Give a two-year old a camera and he will show you the world . . .








My two-year old is the spitting image of his father. Personally, I think they share the same short

temper and dislike of anything healthy, but, as he gets ready to jump into the exciting three's, I've begun to notice him developing more tastes that I can relate to. He loves to learn, he loves music, and he loves taking pictures of EVERYTHING that will stand still long enough. An aspiring professional photographer myself, it was only a matter of time before he noticed that mommy has this rather large growth attached to her face. So naturally I did what any mommy would do next -- buy a 2 year old his own camera?? Where I didn't get my first camera until I was 10, maybe, and thanks to the ever expanding market of technology, my son's generation was born into an age where it is normal to see a toddler sporting a point and shoot and four year old's mastering their home computers to run their own video blogs on youtube. Can't figure out how to use your cellphone?. . . ask your kids. More importantly, I've noticed in him the innate wonder that most of us grow out of as society conforms us to the norm. Nothing can ever compare to the innocence of how a child sees the world around them. Often brutally honest and matter of fact, their views haven't been clouded by the mainstream and they are able to find explanations for life in it's truest, simplest form. It's often said, "Oh, to be a kid again . . . ", only because we no longer are able to appreciate the deepest understandings of happiness and love. To truly look at something and actually SEE and HEAR and KNOW it in all of it's beauty. To see the world through the eyes of a child . . . . how beautiful life could be if we remembered what it was like to discover our first bug or see our first rainbow. So yes, I bought my two-year old a camera and I can't wait for him to show me the world. I hope you will come along for the journey.












No comments:

Post a Comment